Sunday, June 5, 2011

Spring Time

This is the time of the year when those tender smaller sized vegetables become available. Some to look for are slim stalks of asparagus, spring greens for your salad (maybe even from your cold frame), and the small potatoes. I love it when the new potatoes show up in the store. All the different colors that you can combine make a very attractive but simple dish. One of my favorite ways to prepare the potatoes is by roasting them with olive oil and fresh herbs. First preheat your oven to 450°. Then blend together ¼ c. of olive oil and 1 tbsp of freshly chopped herbs in a large bowl. The herbs you use are your personal choice. I like the combination of rosemary and sage. Then cut about 3 lbs of potatoes to roughly the same size. If using the little potatoes you will only need to cut them in half or quarters. Toss together with the olive oil and herbs. Place on a shallow sided baking sheet in a single layer. Put in the oven for about 20 minutes. After this I stir and flip them so more of the cut sides get brown and crispy.  Reduce the heat to 375°.  After 20 minutes flip and stir the potatoes again.  Then bake for another 20 minutes.  They are ready when fork tender. 

This is a dish that can go with any meat or fish. Sometimes I just eat the potatoes and forget all the other stuff. Here is a recipe I can serve to my family without worrying about the allergies they have. Yes, no dairy, no gluten and only the right fat. One more tip I have for these potatoes. If you do not have to watch the dairy products; sprinkle crumbled feta style cheese on top just before you serve it. I like the contrast of the warm herb potatoes and the cool salty feta.

No comments:

Post a Comment