Monday, July 2, 2012

Twice Baked Potatoes


                 Doesn’t everyone love to eat those steak house favorites filled with cheese, butter, herbs, and a lovely browned top?  You can make your own, but there is a downside.    
                First you have to bake the potatoes and try to get the walls of the potato just right.  Then you remove the insides and mix it with your favorite ingredients.  Next comes the process of stuffing the potato.  This is where the invention of Twice Baked Potato Casserole began.  I was trying to put the filling back into my beautifully hollowed out potato skins when the side split.  I tried to somehow repair the split, but then the other side went as well.  Then I had the idea to just mash everything together.  I took the filling and the potato skins mixing them all together in a bowl.  Then I put it in a casserole dish.  After baking, the result was Twice Baked Potato Casserole.  I never make it the same way twice, but I will give you the recipe using my favorite ingredients.  Let your imagination run and put together what you like best.  Enjoy Twice Baked Potatoes without the fuss.
Twice Bake Potato Casserole
Ingredients
All of these ingredients can be more or less depending on how many potatoes you have and your taste.
6 medium sized Potatoes
Filling
1 cup Cottage Cheese
2 tablespoons Butter
Fresh Herbs: Thyme and Chives
½ cup Romano Cheese
1.       Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2.       Bake potatoes in microwave as oven heats.
3.       While still warm, mash potatoes.
4.       Add filling ingredients to the potatoes.  Mix together.
5.       Put in casserole dish.  The size is determined by how many potatoes are being used.  Use your best judgment.
6.       Bake for 40 minutes until the top is crusty and brown.
Alternative Ingredients
If I have cooked Broccoli I will chop it up and add to the mix.
Soy or lactose free dairy products can be used as substitutes for the cheeses and butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment